Congratulations! Now you are in a good position to refactor and add features to the app. Remember the following things:
- Make changes in many small steps instead of Holy Grail passes.
- If you need to keep the Ruby on Racetracks elements out of the source code:
- Keep the master branch of your fork up-to-date.
- Keep the ruby_on_racetracks branch of your fork up to date.
- When you need to make changes to the mainline source code, go to your ruby_on_racetracks branch, start a new branch, and make your changes there. Go to the master branch, start a new branch for the pull request, and cherry pick the changes you wish to put in this branch you specifically designated as the one for the pull request.
- Use test-driven development, or add tests immediately after adding a feature. DO NOT WAIT!
- Keep the Ruby gem, gem versions, and custom Docker image of the app up-to-date.